1/28/10

Simple Tips

So, apparently you do not tip in Ireland... anywhere. Their minimum wage is so high that tipping is unnecessary even at the pubs. Nice!

For the phones: Many students get local plans... a pay as you go phone. Meteor and Vodafone are the most frequently used, but there are a couple other. My SIM card for my iPhone cost 10 Euro, then you "top up" (add minutes) at a local grocery or other stores. If you top up 20 euro per month you get a promotion for 30 days that you can enter a code and get free texts and calling to all Meteor carriers or free texts to any carrier. I think I will do the free texts to anyone because that is more convenient. Plus I will use the top up minutes (the 20 euro) for calling people. Everyone texts nowadays anyway. I have to jailbreak my phone, so I can use another network, using black rain by GeoHotz (George Hotz) who currently hacked the PS3 station in 5 weeks total. Pretty intelligent.

Also, if you mention that you are a student you get discounts at several places including pharmacies, clothing stores and other places I have yet to find out but will keep you posted.
A student travel card is great too, it gets you discounts on trains, buses, food, etc. It is relatively cheap (mine, 12 euro) and will save mucho mulla.

In Dublin, Temple Bar is an area of town that has a ton of pubs, shops, markets, artists etc.
However the pubs jack up the prices for the tourists so most of the Irish drink along Camden Street and other places. i.e. The Bleeding Horse (pronounced : The Bleedin' Horse, they do not pronounce the G in -ing- nor the H in -th- such as Tanks for Thanks) , Feile, etc.

I will keep posting travel tips.

1 comment:

  1. Really excited for you Aly! Keep up the great work with the posts. Good that you had a picture of you holding the pint (and not chuggin' it down as they'd say in Gaelic :)

    ReplyDelete