2/17/10

Connemara/ Salthill/Galway/Dunmore








So, my birthday was this past Saturday. I spent the weekend at Molly's (my roommate) family's house. Her grandfather was born in Donegal, the northern part of Ireland, and his cousin Madeline lives in Dunmore with her husband Robbie. They operated a B&B in Galway for a while and lease it out to someone else who now runs it. They are both happily retired. Their home was absolutely gorgeous. It felt like a B&B. Madeline had the best hospitality I have ever experienced of anyone. She made breakfast each morning. Gave me medicine because I was sick and even went to the local bakery and had them make a cake for me and Molly (her birthday is this Sunday). Robbie used to be a chef in one of his many trades. He fixed chicken, parsnips (from his own garden), carrots, potatoes and beets. It was delicious. The next night we had lamb, leek with white sauce, parsnips and potatoes. We had duck eggs from their own ducks as well in the morning. I also don't think I have had as much tea in my life as in that weekend. It was absolutely wonderful.
On my birthday, Madeline drove through Connemara. Nothing is there except scattered houses and the most gorgeous scenery you have ever experienced. Words cannot describe the site. The feeling. I saw Galway, the Altlantic from the other side, sheep, a castle, the Twelve Pins (also Bens) which are the mountains, a gorgeous boarding school (Kylemore) which looked like a castle too and ate chowder in a quaint town called Roundstone, where the writer of The Riverdance owns a house nearby. I am posting some photographs, but I will link my Flickr so that you can see more of the beauty of Ireland.

They also had a border collie named Ness, short for Guinness. She was so affectionate and the best trained dog I have ever encountered. She just sat and let you pet her and did whatever they said without hesitation. They also had an iron fireplace, which they put turf (peat) in to fuel it.
Everything you think of Ireland, the hospitality, the food, the good company and wonderful scenery, I experienced in that weekend. It was absolutely amazing.
They also had antique furniture and an old-school bathtub and wash basin. The electric blankets were also a plus from my mattress in my dorm that I literally feel all the springs from.
Enjoy west Ireland!

No comments:

Post a Comment