2/17/10

Ash Wednesday

Tonight I went to Mass for the first time with my roommate Ruth and her boyfriend Sean. It was a really traditional mass. Prayer was read in Latin, there were five alter boys, incense, bells and all. I was brought up nondenominational- meaning protestant to the Irish. Anything not Catholic is Protestant. The Protestants oppressed the Catholics of Ireland for 100s of years, meaning England oppressed Ireland for 100s of years. But who didn't the British oppress? Anyway, I received ash from the priest, I had to kneel down while he said a short prayer in Latin before putting his thumb to my forehead. Later we took communion in a very traditional manner. The priest fed us the eucharist on our stuck out tongues while saying a prayer ( I heard corpus christi- meaning body of Christ). I don't know any of the rituals even how you are supposed to cross yourself, or kneel with your right knee before sitting or before the altar. But, it was a very interesting experience and I am really glad I went. The priest talked about how ash Wednesday and Lent is not just an excuse to take off a couple of pounds or leave off the fags (cigarettes) for a while, but a preparation for the death of Jesus Christ (Easter). He was a little intense and forceful, but it was interesting. Ruth and Sean both agreed that normally mass is not as formal, the priest congratulates the recent victor in the local kids football match, etc., etc.
Also, what Americans call Fat Tuesday, Ireland calls Pancake Tuesday. Everyone eats pancakes at all meals. Well not everyone, but we had pancakes, which are American crepes. They are flat and fold up. Alison, Ruth's good friend upstairs is going to culinary school and made us pancakes with caramel, marshmallows, and nutella. The pancakes were perfect! Ruth assembled them and they were too good to be true.
I'll keep you updated on other traditions, Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment